The Best of the Best in the Legal Movie World
Hai, Sobat! Are you a fan of courtroom dramas and legal thrillers? If so, you must have watched some of the best lawyer movies ever made. From riveting dramas to intense suspense, movies about lawyers have always been a favorite of moviegoers. In this article, we will take a closer look at the top 20 lawyer movies of all time.But before we dive into the list, let’s take a moment to appreciate the impact that lawyer movies have had on our culture. These movies have given us iconic lines like “You can’t handle the truth!” and “Show me the money!” They have also portrayed lawyers in different lights, from honorable defenders of justice to ruthless opportunists.Now, without further ado, let’s get into the list of the best lawyer movies ever made.
The Top 20 Lawyer Movies of All Time
1. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) – Directed by Robert Mulligan and based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Harper Lee, this movie is a classic. It stars Gregory Peck as a small-town lawyer who defends a black man accused of rape.
2. 12 Angry Men (1957) – Directed by Sidney Lumet, this black-and-white movie is a masterpiece. It is a tense drama that takes place entirely in a jury room as 12 jurors deliberate the fate of a young man accused of murder.
3. A Few Good Men (1992) – Directed by Rob Reiner and starring Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson, this movie has become a cultural touchstone. It is famous for the memorable exchange between Cruise and Nicholson, in which Nicholson utters the famous line, “You can’t handle the truth!”
4. My Cousin Vinny (1992) – Directed by Jonathan Lynn, this movie is a hilarious comedy that also happens to be a courtroom drama. It stars Joe Pesci as a brash New York lawyer who comes to the South to defend his cousin in a murder trial.
5. Erin Brockovich (2000) – Directed by Steven Soderbergh and starring Julia Roberts, this movie is based on a true story. Roberts plays a single mother who becomes a legal assistant and takes on a powerful corporation accused of polluting a town’s water supply.
6. The Verdict (1982) – Directed by Sidney Lumet and starring Paul Newman, this movie is a gripping drama. Newman plays a down-on-his-luck lawyer who takes on a medical malpractice case that could revive his career.
7. Philadelphia (1993) – Directed by Jonathan Demme and starring Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington, this movie is a powerful drama. Hanks plays a lawyer who is fired from his job after he is diagnosed with AIDS. He hires Washington to represent him in a wrongful termination lawsuit.
8. The Lincoln Lawyer (2011) – Directed by Brad Furman and starring Matthew McConaughey, this movie is a slick thriller. McConaughey plays a defense attorney who operates out of the back of his Lincoln Continental.
9. The Rainmaker (1997) – Directed by Francis Ford Coppola and based on the novel by John Grisham, this movie stars Matt Damon as a young lawyer who takes on a powerful insurance company accused of denying coverage to a dying man.
10. The Client (1994) – Directed by Joel Schumacher and based on the novel by John Grisham, this movie stars Susan Sarandon as a lawyer who takes on the case of a young boy who witnessed a murder.
11. The Firm (1993) – Directed by Sydney Pollack and based on the novel by John Grisham, this movie stars Tom Cruise as a young lawyer who joins a prestigious law firm that turns out to be involved in shady dealings.
12. Primal Fear (1996) – Directed by Gregory Hoblit and starring Richard Gere and Edward Norton, this movie is a psychological thriller. Gere plays a defense attorney who takes on the case of a young man accused of murdering a priest.
13. The Accused (1988) – Directed by Jonathan Kaplan and starring Jodie Foster, this movie is based on a true story. Foster plays a woman who is gang-raped in a bar and takes on the men who watched the attack but did nothing to stop it.
14. Judgment at Nuremberg (1961) – Directed by Stanley Kramer, this movie is a historical drama. It takes place after World War II and follows a group of judges who are put on trial for their role in Nazi war crimes.
15. Michael Clayton (2007) – Directed by Tony Gilroy and starring George Clooney, this movie is a tense thriller. Clooney plays a “fixer” for a law firm who becomes embroiled in a case involving a chemical company that is accused of polluting the environment.
16. The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996) – Directed by Milos Forman and starring Woody Harrelson, this movie is based on the true story of Larry Flynt, the publisher of Hustler magazine. It follows his legal battles with the government and his own employees.
17. And Justice for All (1979) – Directed by Norman Jewison and starring Al Pacino, this movie is a legal drama with a twist. Pacino plays a lawyer who is disillusioned with the legal system and takes on a case that challenges his principles.
18. The Devil’s Advocate (1997) – Directed by Taylor Hackford and starring Keanu Reeves and Al Pacino, this movie is a supernatural thriller. Reeves plays a young lawyer who takes a job at a high-powered law firm run by Pacino, who may or may not be the devil.
19. Inherit the Wind (1960) – Directed by Stanley Kramer and based on the play by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee, this movie is a courtroom drama set in a small town in Tennessee. It follows the trial of a teacher who is accused of teaching evolution in violation of state law.
20. The Pelican Brief (1993) – Directed by Alan J. Pakula and based on the novel by John Grisham, this movie stars Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington. Roberts plays a law student who writes a brief that implicates powerful people in the murder of two Supreme Court justices.
In conclusion, lawyer movies have always been a popular genre in Hollywood. These movies have entertained and inspired us, and they have given us iconic characters and lines. The top 20 lawyer movies of all time are a must-watch for any fan of legal dramas and courtroom thrillers.
If you haven’t watched some of these movies yet, now is the perfect time to add them to your list. And if you have watched them all, then enjoy them again, because great movies never get old.
Thank you for reading this article, and we hope to see you again soon for more exciting content!